[syslinux] token ring for pxelinux

John Poltorak jp at manninghammills.org
Thu Feb 27 08:03:17 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 03:53:00PM +0100, Josef Siemes wrote:

> The problem is the PXE rom. Maybe bootix (www.bootix.com) or someone else has
> a PXE rom available. BTW: This would be a real 'rom', no flash ...

If I could get one, would it make any difference that the card was MCA?

> > AL 000001 PX14CN
> > BL CD0.112
>
> This is definitively the version which has problems. You need AL xx5 PX16xx.

OK I'll try to find the correct flash image for that.

> > This is on my IBM Network Station, which for some reason, ignores Alt-S
> > when I press it. Maybe I have disable it in the BIOS, although I can't
> > where... I need to go into the setup to switch between RPL and PXE.
>
> It can also switch between RPL and PXE in the bios - press any key (maybe F1?)
> while switching it on, the bios password is preset to 'ibmncd'. I think this is the reason
> why you can't update it with a standard rom - the internal bios manages the card,
> and not (as usual) the card manages itself.
>
> > I'd be interested in knowing how to upgrade it to a new level.
>
> As said, I only managed it to upgrade with booting the network station manager
> image (with ML 5 or greater). This means you boot the BSD-based system from IBM.

> BTW: Which networkstation do you have there? Is it x86-based? 2200 and 2800 are
> x86-based,

It's a 2800. I quite like it but was a little annoyed when I got an IBM
Microdrive especially for it only to find it didn't fit!

> Which feature code does it have?

How do I tell?

> You won't be able to boot PowerPC-based
> networkstations with pxelinux, since it's tied to x86-processors.

I have got as far transferring pxelinux from an OS/2 server, but then it
complains that the TFTP server does not support the tsize option.

I was told that this server does support it, but PXELINUX thinks
otherwise. Maybe the problem is related to the BIOS level - I don't
know...

> > I've been
> > told I need PXE v2 to be able to try some OS/2 software but have been
> > unable to do so so far.
>
> I have seen 'workspace on demand' (which is also OS/2-based) on a NWS 2800.

I am aware of WSOD but don't know any company which uses it, even though
it is supposed to be quite popular in some places.

I just run standard OS/2 on mine, although would like to try running
Linux, but without actually installing it. This is where PXELINUX is
supposed to come in but I can't get it working :-(...

--
John