[syslinux] pxelinux.cfg/default

John Poltorak jp at manninghammills.org
Fri Feb 28 07:51:42 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 07:06:02AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> John Poltorak wrote:
> >
> > Does it just request a file called 'linux' from the tftp server?
> >
> > Is there a minimal 'linux' file I can download from somewhere?
> >
> > Presumably this is what gets loaded by the client when it starts to
> > boot...
> >

> You need much more than this to get a working Linux system set up to
> boot.

I only want to get to the next step for now. Apparently all I need is a
file called Linux. There must be something minimal and sufficiently
generic that I can use without needing to know anything about building my
own kernel...

> PXELINUX is a pretty advanced tool.

I don't doubt that for a minute.

> You probably want to get
> familiar with a Linux distribution before doing anything else.  If you
> really want a system which can boot off the network and have no files on
> the actual client, the SuperRescue CD distribution of Linux can operate
> in this mode.

My primary objective is to get PXE working. I don't want to get
sidetracked into having to become a Linux expert first.

I tried to get bpbatch working initially but didn't make much progress
so I thought I'd give PXELINUX a try
all.

--
John