[syslinux] pxelinux.cfg/default

Martijn Bakker martijn-syslinux at insecure.nl
Fri Feb 28 08:12:08 PST 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:51:42PM +0000, John Poltorak wrote:

> I only want to get to the next step for now. Apparently all I need is a
> file called Linux. There must be something minimal and sufficiently
> generic that I can use without needing to know anything about building my
> own kernel...

Well, the file called "linux" (not "Linux") is in fact a kernel. This kernel
needs to be able to support or an initrd or NFS-Root. initrd is pretty much
a default in redhat-based distro's. NFS-Root however, is really not so
default.

> > PXELINUX is a pretty advanced tool.
>
> I don't doubt that for a minute.

It is. Net-booting a linux-kernel + underlying "distribution" mostly requires
being a linux-guru if you want to build it yourself. Next to that, I
reccomend applying a lot of google, and a bit of mailinglist-digest.

> > You probably want to get
> > familiar with a Linux distribution before doing anything else.  If you
> > really want a system which can boot off the network and have no files on
> > the actual client, the SuperRescue CD distribution of Linux can operate
> > in this mode.
>
> My primary objective is to get PXE working. I don't want to get
> sidetracked into having to become a Linux expert first.

Maybe then pxelinux isn't the greatest step. If you see pxelinux printing
stuff on your screen, I think you can concider your netboot-attempt as a
success. It didn't boot a linux-kernel, but you got the image over the
network.

> I tried to get bpbatch working initially but didn't make much progress
> so I thought I'd give PXELINUX a try
> all.

If I may ask, what's the specific final goal you want to achieve?

grtz, Tijn

--
 4:59PM  up 54 days,  2:58, 5 users, load averages: 0.11, 0.12, 0.15