[syslinux] PXELINUX v. bpbatch

Egan Ford egan at sense.net
Fri Feb 28 12:00:43 PST 2003

PXELINUX with MEMDISK can boot DOS.  I used bpbatch for sometime.  It's
a superset of pxelinux functionality.  But it is not open source (you
get no source).  I like that it had a scripting language, image install
(1024 cylinder limit) and could boot DOS.  I think that MEMDISK's dos
support is better however.  I have had less problems with it (e.g.
flashing BIOSes with it).

PXELINUX is also actively developed bpbatch is not.  Rembo wants you
sell you their commercial solution.

Since PXELINUX added localboot support we dropped using bpbatch.

Another solution to consider is pxegrub.  It's a general purpose boot
manager, however it does not use UNDI so you have to build images for
each type of NIC.  I am considering using pxegrub so that I can have
multiple OSes on a single box and remotely choose what to boot, however
it will need to support UNDI.  Perhaps pxelinux will have grub like
features someday.