[syslinux] pxelinux.cfg/default

Christian Marg christian.marg at tu-clausthal.de
Fri Feb 28 13:52:52 PST 2003

John Poltorak wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 07:06:02AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>

>My primary objective is to get PXE working. I don't want to get
>sidetracked into having to become a Linux expert first.
>
>I tried to get bpbatch working initially but didn't make much progress
>so I thought I'd give PXELINUX a try

You could also do your first PXE-Attempts with Memdisk and a floppy disk
image of, lets say DOS.
Then you just have to build one bootable floppy, try it on the target
computer, get an image of the disk (dd or something else should do the
trick)
After that you can read the Syslinux documentation about using Memdisk
(as a "kernel file") and the floppy disk image (as an "initrd file") .
After writing something like

label test
kernel memdisk
append initrd=bootfloppy.ima

into a .cfg file and putting the files into the correct places you
should be able to see PXE booting the floppy disk image via memdisk
emulation. Very easy, no need to be  a "Linux Expert"...

Good luck

bye
Christian Marg