[syslinux] PXE booting

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jan 6 04:17:57 PST 2003

Luis.F.Correia wrote:
> Ok, i've tried it.
>
> The result is exactly the same... it just hangs there.
>
> I guess it IS a bad bios implementation.
>
> I am now going to try and find out if there is a bios update for this
> machine.
> It is strange though, it's a brand-new PC...
> (designed for windoze px...)

Not strange at all.  BIOS quality has been going down, down, DOWN since
the BIOS is increasingly looked at as just a bootstrap for Windoze.  If
it boots the latest version of 'doze at the time the machine ships, it's
"good".

Something else you could try is pxelinux.0 from either 2.00-pre14 (some
people have had success with -pre14 when it doesn't work with 2.00) or
with 1.76.

Also, some people have reported, in particular, problems with booting a
floppy image on a machine with no floppy disk or a hard disk image on a
machine with no harddisk.

It's still odd; you should be getting *some* output from MEMDISK itself...