[syslinux] isolinux

Torsten Foertsch torsten.foertsch at gmx.net
Sun Jan 12 12:47:18 PST 2003

Hi,

I am trying to create a bootable linux cd using isolinux. I have created a
directory to hold the cd tree that contains

  tmp/boot/vmlinuz
  tmp/boot/initrd
  tmp/isolinux.bin
  tmp/isolinux.cfg

The isolinux.cfg file consists of one line

  DEFAULT /boot/vmlinuz initrd=/boot/initrd

The iso image is created by

  mkisofs -R -b isolinux.bin -c isolinux.cfg -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
          -boot-info-table -o cd.iso tmp/

When I then try to boot from this cd it says:

  Unknown keyword in config file.
  Could not find kernel image: linux
  boot:

Now I can type in a command line:

  /boot/vmlinuz initrd=/boot/initrd

and the kernel boots as it is meant to.

What is wrong? Why doesn't it boot automatically?

I have already tried several variants of isolinux.cfg including

  LABEL blah
  KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
  APPEND initrd=/boot/initrd

I have tried syslinux versions 1.62 and 2.00. All the same.

Then I put some debugging output into parsecmd.inc. It seems to read arbitrary
characters from the file. I am not an asm programmer. So I would not really
rely on my debugging output.

What is wrong?

Thanks
Torsten