[syslinux] ppmtolss16 and RedHat 8.0/perl 5.8.0

David Ross david.ross at dcexperts.ca
Mon Jan 13 22:33:48 PST 2003

Okay, what's the deal?  How come ppmtolss16 always terminates with
"Premature EOF"?
A previous poster said he fixed it by using a different conversion
routine, but that doesn't help me at all.  In fact, it appears to me the
problem is with perl 5.8, not the file.  Characters vs. bytes?  Another
poster said adding "use bytes" to ppmtolss16 fixed the error.  That may
be so, but I can't use the files generated either.

Does anyone know what this problem really is and how to really fix it??
Please??!  Thanks!