[syslinux] ISOLinux + PXELinux

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 15 11:45:43 PST 2003

This netbooting is new to me, so bear with me a little.
 From what I understand,

For each specific NIC, I can create a "Linux Kernel" using etherboot,
which when booted into, will go fetch the real kernel (in case of linux)
/ a floppy image (in case of DOS), from an nfs mountpoint (which is
hardcoded into the etherboot generated kernel.

What I would ideally, like is an "image" in ISOLinux called say netboot,
so that typing

 > netboot boot=server:/dir/kernel a=b c=d ...

will boot the specified kernel with the specified initrd (in case of
linux) or just boot into the floppy image (specified by boot) in case of
DOS image.

Is this feasible?

I write a COMBOOT image called "netboot" which queries the BIOS and
finds out, the Vendor and Device ID of my NIC, and then runs the
etherboot floppy image specific to that NIC (which also lives on the
CD), and passes its arguments through.

The NIC specific etherboot "linux kernel", gets the kernel specified by
the boot argument, and passes the remaining (a=b c=d...) to the kernel.
I hope to actually call it with something like

netboot boot=myserver:/export/kernel initrd=myserver:/export/rootfs.img
hdc=ide-scsi...

I dont expect to have this working anytime soon. Just so that I get an
idea of what can be done and what cannot.

- Murali