[syslinux] Fw: syslinux with flash discs?

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Fri Jan 17 16:26:31 PST 2003

Here are a couple of hints about booting from IDE flash devices.

I don't know anything about Feiya but you can use Compact Flash
cards (CF) as an IDE disk drive.  The CF interface has an IDE
mode of operation and it's just a matter of getting the wires from
the IDE conenctor to the compact flash card.  You can get an adapter
from a place like Siliconkit (www.siliconkit.com) to use any CF
card as an IDE device on a PC motherboard.  The CF card becomes
/dev/hda and works just like a disk drive. In this mode you cannot
hot-plug the compact flash card.  You have to power-cycle the box
if you want to remove the flash disk.

I have not used syslinux on an IDE CF memory device, but it should
work fine, it appears to the system just like an IDE disk drive.

I have used both LILO and Grub on IDE CF cards with good success.

For an embedded project I was working on that booted a motherboard
using a CF card I wanted some boot loader features that I couldn't
find elsewhere.  I wanted to boot from a cramfs compressed filesystem
stored on the compact flash card and I wanted the bootloader to set a
VESA graphics mode and put up a nice splash screen while the kernel
was booting.  So, I wrote my own boot loader that I think is
complimentary to syslinus, lilo, and the rest.  I haven't really
released it yet, but you are welcome to give it a try, hopefully it
will be self-explanatory to modify for your purposes.  "jlo" means
"jeff's loader":

    http://www.mock.com/jlo/jlo-0.1.2.tar.gz

jeff