[syslinux] Pxelinux image filename oddity?

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Wed Jan 22 09:48:32 PST 2003

Hi,

"Simen Thoresen" <simentt at dolphinics.no> schrieb am 21.01.03 00:18:00:
> Right now I have it working, but the documentation found elsewhere on the web has confused me.
>
> Specifically, having a dot ('.') in the filename of the image seems to crash or reboot my machine.
[..]
> ...while the following (kernel properly renamed, of course) results in either a crash or a reboot, depending on how the kernel was built
> [root at leire linux]# cat /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/C0A80165
> label linux
>         kernel boot.0

Please avoid the '.0' ending with syslinux (and pxelinux) if booting a linux kernel. The same applies
to '.bin', '.iso', '.bss', (fill in missing pieces here ...). See the syslinux and isolinux documentation
for all the endings. These files are interpreted in a special way by sys/pxe/isolinux (boot sectors,
iso images, ...), and will do something funny with files not being what the filename tells it to be.

Since this really gets a FAQ: HPA, would you be so kind to include this at the top of the
sys/pxe/isolinux documentation?

Regards,

Josef