[syslinux] Windows harddisk images.

Blaauw,Bernd B. B.Blaauw at student.fontys.nl
Wed Jan 22 19:01:21 PST 2003

Hello all,

I've been following this project with interest, and have had great fun
implementing Isolinux within the FreeDOS cdrom distribution.

Since I'm not that an expert at Linux, I would like to know how I can
*succesfully* generate a bootable image from a partition.

Situation is like this: (640MB RAM on system)
60GB IDE harddisk,
primary partition 1 win98 500MB
extended partition with 2 logical partitions about 50GB.
I cannot delete these.

The win98 primary partition is active and boots fine.

Now I plug in my SCSI disk into it's controller, so I can boot from SCSI
into Win2000.
There I image the Win98 partition on the IDE disk with WinImage (use E:,
read disk).

Finally,
I have a Win98.ima which I rename to win98.img

structure on disc (and in ISO):
root
isolinux
 -isolinux.bin
 -memdisk
 -isolinux.cfg
 -win98.img

The Win98 image gets loaded by Memdisk
label win98
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=WIN98.IMG

but after a minute of 2 loading into RAM, it fails actually booting:
"Invalid BootDisk. Replace diskette and hit a key to continue"

So, what am I doing wrong?
Is there a Windows solution?
I've read of dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hda2/win98.img , but which action does
WinImage not do?

opening the win98.img in WinImage shows file contents, and bootsector
MSWIN4.0

Is there any decent Windows replacement software, or what are my
alternatives?
Syslinux docs easily talk about "1 partition, no guarantees to work", but is
this exactly what I should expect if it does not work as intended (diskless
computer, with win98/office working in RAM)

regards,

Bernd Blaauw