[syslinux] ISOLINUX and booting from CD-ROM drives

Krzysztof Nikiel kni at poczta.onet.pl
Fri Jan 24 11:31:10 PST 2003

Hi,

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:33:13 +0100, Sula Milos wrote:

>Hi
>i have latest SYSLINUX. I use ISOLINUX to create iso image for booting
>from CD-ROMs (non EL Torito emulation mode). But when i specify path to
>root in my kernel rdev kernel /dev/hdc1 it can boot only from CD-ROMs
>connected to secondary master. But i really need to boot also from
>CD-ROMs connected to another channels. Can you help me ?

The simples solution is to have a few labels in config file. Each one for
different cdrom location but it requires entering correct label by hand.

You can also configure kernel to use ide-scsi emulation and you will have
first cdrom at /dev/scd0.

I try to write atapi driver to avoid poor bios and have multi boot image and
multisession support. It could also automatically provide correct root device
to kernel (assuming root is ide cdrom) but this would require isolinux patch.

Krzysztof