[syslinux] dhcp-parameter-request-list and append in ISC DHCP 3.x

Andy Wray awray at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 26 23:04:03 PST 2003

I was just trying to setup pxelinux with the ISC DHCP server v 3.0.1pl9
using the instructions on the web site to get pxelinux to use a config
file linked to a MAC address rather than an IP address and appear to
have run into the same problem that Gal Goldschmidt posted about in this
list back in July of 2002.  It seems that the append statement is only
applicable to the dhclient.conf file, not the dhcpd.conf file (as best I
can tell from the documentation anyway), and when used as specified on
the web site, it just replaces the parameter request list instead of
appending to it.  I was looking at Gal's solution, and while I'm sure it
works, I wanted to be able to keep the dynamic nature of what the append
statement is supposed to do, so I played around with this for a while
and found that the following statement, in place of the append
statement, appears to work OK:

option dhcp-parameter-request-list = concat(option
dhcp-parameter-request-list,d0,d1);

Note that the 208 and 209 have to be specified in hex.  Of course the
210 and 211 could be added, but I didn't need them in my configuration.

Hopefully this will help the next person who wants to set this up get
through this a little more quickly than it took me.

--Andy