[syslinux] tftp problems with VIA EPIA-M board

Hugo Mills hugo-pxe at carfax.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 12:19:42 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:42:25AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> WHOA... looks like your PXE bios is trying to boot from 10.0.0.5 as if
> it was a multicast address, and then boot from port 17664; perhaps it's
> expecting an MTFTP server there.  That one is a new one for me...

   Victory! Problem Exists (Partly) Between Chair And Keyboard.

   When I first tried doing this, the "conventional" DHCP settings on
the syslinux site didn't work, so I dug around on the net and found
someone's example of how to do it, and copied some lines resembling

option PXE.mtftp-ip code 1 = ip-address;

from their sample DHCP setup, and a couple of similar lines in the
per-client config. I made the mistake of copying a 0.0.0.0 as 10.0.0.5
in the "option PXE.mtftp-ip 0.0.0.0" line, which apparently is
intended to tell the client to keep using tftp, not mtftp. (I thought
that 0.0.0.0 looked dodgy, and provided the address of my server. Memo
to self: RTFM better next time.)

   Fixing this (and a few missing files...), and I get a working
netboot. Well, it works up to the kernel panic where it can't find the
NFS root filesystem, but I think I can handle it from here on in.

   Many thanks for your help and your time -- I'd probably have sat
going round in little circles without someone to ask questions of.

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: hugo at ... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk