[syslinux] atftp vs tftp-hpa scalability

Michael Blandford mlblandf at sedona.ch.intel.com
Thu Jun 5 18:49:39 PDT 2003

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>Vallard Benincosa wrote:
>

>>sorry about that last post...
>>I have been using atftp as my tftp server and have found that there are
>>security warnings about it:
>>http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2002/sep/1005231.html
>>&
>>http://www.netric.org/advisories/netric-adv0101.txt
>>
>>I was thinking of changing to tftp-hpa but was interested to know about
>>scaling. How many nodes could be pxebooted (kickstarted) at the same time
>>via atftp or tftp-hpa?  When is it better to use tftp-hpa vs atftp? are
>>there advantages one has over the other?
>>

>atftp should scale better; tftp-hpa is more portable, and offers the
>regular expression file remapping feature (which atftp may want to copy.)

Oddly enough, I just sent email to the atftp maintainers today regarding
the ability to remap file names.  We took a different approach to file
name remapping.  If they are interested, I will send them our patch for
inclusion.

If others are interested, I will try to send it to you ( once I get it
past legal )

Michael