[syslinux] Odd PXELinux Problem

James Jeffers jamesjef at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 10 10:52:49 PDT 2003

I am using PXELinux (2.04).

I have a setup where we are generating configuration files based on MAC
addresses. That is, you'd see, say, a "1:0:2:9:67:8c:8" in the
pxelinux.cfg/ dir.

However, after the PXE stack loads the kernel image and the subsequent
initrd image, the machine stops after displaying "Ready." Some machines
begin to display a bit of "snow" on the screen as pixels flicker on and
off.

If I let the client boot from the "default" file the boot continues and
everyone is happy. I have copied the default file as one with a MAC
address, but I get the same result as if it was generated.

Does PXELinux expect that configuration files named by MAC have different
contents? I didn't think so, but if I'm wrong, please advise.

Thanks in advance!

James Jeffers
Software Engineer
e1350 Linux Cluster Development