[syslinux] more on PXELinux confiuration file woes

James Jeffers jamesjef at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 11 12:54:36 PDT 2003

I'll look at a packet capture and see what tftp is transmitting when the
named files are present.

James Jeffers
Software Engineer
e1350 Linux Cluster Development
(919) 254-6250
T/L 444-6250
<jamesjef at us.ibm.com>

                      "Josef Siemes"
                      <jsiemes at web.de>         To:       James Jeffers/Raleigh/Contr/IBM at IBMUS
                                               cc:
                      06/11/2003 03:34         Subject:  Re: [syslinux] more on PXELinux confiuration file woes
                      PM

Hi,

James Jeffers <jamesjef at us.ibm.com> schrieb am 11.06.03 15:42:23:
> I performed an experiment in which I had dhcpd specify a named file
("foo")
> instead of
> one based on a client's MAC address. Lo and behold, the same problem
> occured. The PXE
> stack requested and was served the right file, the kernel loaded as did
the
> initrd. But again, the
> boot sequence stopped at "Ready."
>
> Keep in mind that the contents of the file are the same as was in the
> "default" file, which when PXE clients
> requested and used, everything went very smoothly.

Hmm. Either the dhcp server is doing something strange here, or pxelinux
with giving the command line to the kernel. Could you take some tcpdump
of the RRQ's issued by the client? Perhaps there's some /0 that shouldn't
be in the filename or something like this. Perhaps you could also verify
if the same amount of kernel/initrd is transferred to the client. If it's
in
pxelinux itself: that would be hpa's part ... hpa, any guess?

Regards,

Josef

Jetzt bei WEB.DE FreeMail anmelden = 1qm Regenwald schuetzen! Helfen
Sie mit! Nutzen Sie den Serien-Testsieger. http://user.web.de/Regenwald