[syslinux] The computer hangs while booting the kernel

Michael Bendzick michaelb at logicpd.com
Tue Jun 17 14:16:27 PDT 2003

I've been working on getting syslinux running for a project I'm working on,
and am running into the same problem (roughly) that Julian Picht was having
back in March 2003 that he described on this list.

To quote his problem...

> I have got the Problem that syslinux does not boot my kernel it loads it:
>
> SYSLINUX 2.02 2003-02-13  Copyright (C) 1994-2003 H. Peter Anvin
> boot:
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
>
> and then it just hangs.

Mention of "(a) you compile in VT console and (b) pass "console=tty0" on the
command line" was given by H. Peter Anvin in response, however:
- I'm using Linux 2.4.21 (not the 2.5.* that seemed to have the console
problem)
- I've tried adding console=tty0 on the APPEND line in syslinux.cfg
- My kernel does have support for Virtual terminal and Console on virtual
terminal in the Character devices section.

What I'm trying to do initially to learn how syslinux works is to make my
own kernel with certain driver specs and drop it into an existing/working
syslinux configuration (in this case Josh Larios' Autoclave from
http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/).  What this means is I'm
making my own zImage and putting it on the floppy disk made for Autoclave
instead of the kernel provided with it.

I don't know what to do next with something as seemingly simple as dropping
in a new kernel to an otherwise working floppy disk.  Any and all help will
be sincerely appreciated.

-Michael Bendzick
Logic Product Development
michael.b at logicpd.com
www.logicpd.com

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this