[syslinux] The computer hangs while booting the kernel

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jun 17 15:09:59 PDT 2003

Michael Bendzick wrote:

> What I'm trying to do initially to learn how syslinux works is to make my
> own kernel with certain driver specs and drop it into an existing/working
> syslinux configuration (in this case Josh Larios' Autoclave from
> http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/).  What this means is I'm
> making my own zImage and putting it on the floppy disk made for Autoclave
> instead of the kernel provided with it.

Well, SYSLINUX boots the kernel, it's just that your kernel doesn't run.
 Whatever is happening almost certainly has nothing to do with SYSLINUX;
this is a generic kernel booting problem.

If you're actually using zImage then that's the first hint something is
fishy.  Use bzImage instead.

> I don't know what to do next with something as seemingly simple as dropping
> in a new kernel to an otherwise working floppy disk.  Any and all help will
> be sincerely appreciated.

A new kernel is hardly simple.  The dropping part worked fine :-/

	-=hpa