[syslinux] isolinux 2.0+ won't boot from DVD

Taylor, ForrestX forrestx.taylor at intel.com
Tue Jun 17 16:23:20 PDT 2003

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>  >>>
>  >>> Well, I guess that I needed to add an i386/ to the beginning of the
>  >>> sort file paths.  That yeilded:
>  >>>
>  >>>
>  >>> d--------- 0 0 0 4096 Jun 12 2003 [    170]  ISOLINUX
>  >>> ---------- 0 0 0 9172 Jun 12 2003 [   4306]  ISOLINUX.BIN;1
>  >>>
>  >>> ---------- 0 0 0 2163 Jun 11 2003 [   4311]  ISOLINUX.CFG;1
>  >>>
>  >>> which looks much better.  I am testing it now to see if that works.
>  >>>
>  >>
>  > Could it be due to the filename.
>  > SYSLINUX 2.0 does strange things with .BIN extension, so maybe ISOLINUX
>  > does the same.
>  > If the ISOLINUX.BIN is just a bzImage, rename it to something else.
>  >

> No, isolinux.bin is ISOLINUX itself.  It should be just fine.
>
> Where is your kernel, though?
>
>         -hpa

The kernels are in the isolinux directory (vmlinuz, vmlinuz80,
vmlinuz73).  I have isolinux.cfg setup to boot from these kernels.

Maybe it is not the size, but something else.  I just tried a 1.7GB iso
image that only had the isolinux directory and some large files.  The
large files I created with `dd if=/dev/zero bs=2k count=500000
of=i386/zero`.  That booted just fine.  I am in the process of creating
a 4GB image same way to see if it boots.

Forrest