[syslinux] isolinux 2.0+ won't boot from DVD

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jun 19 14:43:33 PDT 2003

Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>> You're not booting from this directory, though, presumably, so I don't
>> see how that would matter...
>

> Correct, I am booting from the isolinux directory.  However, if I remove
> the SRPMS directory, it boots up fine.  Another quirk is that if I make
> the iso image small enough to fit on a CD, and I still have the SRPMS
> directory, the CD will boot while the DVD will not.

OK... this is bizarre.  The fact that it's a CD versus DVD difference
automatically means that the BIOS is messed up in some way; ISOLINUX
doesn't know and doesn't care, and shouldn't need to care about the
difference.

Even so, this is utterly bizarre.  The only think I can imagine is that
the BIOS somehow misdetects the DVD as something other than El Torito
(UDF?) when the SRPMS stuff is on there...