[syslinux] isolinux 2.0+ won't boot from DVD

Taylor, ForrestX forrestx.taylor at intel.com
Thu Jun 19 16:27:18 PDT 2003

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
 > Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
 >  > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
 >  >
 >  >> You're not booting from this directory, though, presumably, so I
don't
 >  >> see how that would matter...
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > Correct, I am booting from the isolinux directory.  However, if I
remove
 >  > the SRPMS directory, it boots up fine.  Another quirk is that if I
make
 >  > the iso image small enough to fit on a CD, and I still have the SRPMS
 >  > directory, the CD will boot while the DVD will not.
 >  >

 > OK... this is bizarre.  The fact that it's a CD versus DVD difference
 > automatically means that the BIOS is messed up in some way; ISOLINUX
 > doesn't know and doesn't care, and shouldn't need to care about the
 > difference.
 >
 > Even so, this is utterly bizarre.  The only think I can imagine is that
 > the BIOS somehow misdetects the DVD as something other than El Torito
 > (UDF?) when the SRPMS stuff is on there...

Indeed it is bizarre.  Especially when isolinux-1.75 works fine.  Also,
I have tried the DVD-RW on several machines with the same result.
Interestingly enough, when I boot to Red Hat Linux 9 and try to mount
the DVD (or any DVD that I have created--bootable or not), I get this in
/var/log/messages:

Jun 19 15:22:38 test-box kernel: udf: registering filesystem
Jun 19 15:22:38 test-box kernel: UDF-fs: No VRS found

and this from mount:

/dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev)

However, on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (the machine with the DVD-RW), I get this:

Jun 19 16:23:47 test-box2 kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet
Level 3
Jun 19 16:23:49 test-box2 kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

/dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev)

...but the DVD doesn't boot from this machine either.

Any other suggestions?  I may just have to chalk this up to strange
BIOSes and revert to isolinux-1.75.

Thanks,

Forrest