[syslinux] Re: Remapping Serial Keyboard Input with SYSLINUX

George Pajari George.Pajari at Faximum.com
Fri Jun 20 14:44:37 PDT 2003

I wrote earlier:

> I have a system with a Matrix Orbital keypad (only) on ttyS0 which
> generates it own strange bytes when keys are pressed. Is there
> something similar to the KBDMAP directive but for serial input?

I've now spent more time looking in the comio.inc and see how the KBDMAP
is implemented and how one could extend it to serial keyboard mapping.
Before I launch on this project I should like to solicit some design
guidance from the syslinux community.

Here are the three obvious ways of supporting keyboard mapping:

1 - The KBDMAP applies equally to both keyboard and serial input
(currently it only applies to keyboard input)
2 - There is one KBDMAP and the user (in the config file) can specify it
applies to the keyboard only, serial input only, or both.
3 - There are two maps (say, KBDMAP and SERIALMAP) at the cost of
another 256 bytes of memory + some code

What is your preference? What does the Master (hpa) think?

Have guidance, will code...

g.