[syslinux] pxelinux implementation questions

Alexander Sack aps at holmeister.net
Fri Jun 20 14:58:54 PDT 2003

> > What do you mean by it "must go into contiguous memory"?  What happens
> > if you change the buffer address on the fly?  It won't work?
> >

> You can't.

Okay.  That kinda sucks.

>> Nope.  After FFFF follows 0000.
>> Okay, then can pxelinux handle initrd's bigger than 32MB?
>> It can handle greater than 32 MB regardless of blocksize.

These three sentences seem contradictory.  I guess I will look again.
The tftp block number is 2 bytes or 16-bits.  That allows me to address
up to 32MB of a single file.  If my initrd is 33MB, I don't see how you
can address the last 1MB.  There must be some magic I'm missing.

> What extra overhead?
> Quite frankly, tsize has been an RFC since 1995.  If a TFTP server
> doesn't support it it's usually because it's a largely unmodified
> version of the old BSD code, which crawls with bugs.

Yes I would agree with that.  I noticed one post about mtftp and
supporting that RFC.  Of course that is more complicated.

Thanks!

-aps

--
"We've duplicated this [horror] in the Sega Labs before - it's where the Sega CD came from."
-MegaTokyo