[syslinux] pxelinux implementation questions

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 20 15:29:31 PDT 2003

Alexander Sack wrote:

> These three sentences seem contradictory.  I guess I will look again.
> The tftp block number is 2 bytes or 16-bits.  That allows me to address
> up to 32MB of a single file.  If my initrd is 33MB, I don't see how you
> can address the last 1MB.  There must be some magic I'm missing.

As long as you don't multicast, there is no harm in the block numbers
wrapping around:

FFFD, FFFE, FFFF, 0000, 0001, 0002, ...

... because you can't get that far into the sequence without being
reasonably in sync with the source.

This breaks, fatally, with multicasting, however.  This is one of the
big problems with multicasting TFTP.