[syslinux] PXELINUX keeppxe mem footprint

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 21 07:27:13 PDT 2003

(Apologies for the mostly off-topic message.)

"Moore, Patrick J" <patrick.moore at imperial.ac.uk> writes:

> You're using the basic MSClient redirector - I need the full one for
> domain logons which needs more RAM. I also use a UK keyboard driver
> since people use symbols in their domain passwords. This is enough
> to swing the balance unfortunately...

Do you actually need domain logons?  You can map a drive with a domain
account using the basic redirector; this is how I have always done it.

But I agree it would be nice to have a "keepundi" flag in PXELINUX.
Sorry for my confusion about the dependency; it has been a while since
I read the PXE spec.

Going even further off-topic...

My users have reported many random problems which are ultimately
attributable to using DOS, including running out of conventional
memory when trying to make the most trivial change to the boot disk.
(The amount of memory is not even predictable; the PXE/UNDI stacks
keep changing.)  But they have also encountered broken BIOSes, broken
NDIS2 drivers, apparent bugs in the MSCLIENT stack, and so on.

For all of these reasons, I am planning to use Linux instead.  The
idea is to run winnt.exe under dosemu, where the (emulated) hardware
environment is predictable and constant.  I have not started on it yet
because I have other items on the task list...  But if you are up for
making a change this radical, and are willing to share your work, I
would like to collaborate.  (Internationalization is also on the task
list.)

 - Pat