[syslinux] Password protection

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Tue Jun 24 21:30:16 PDT 2003

Hi,

Wout Mertens <wmertens at cisco.com> schrieb am 24.06.03 13:54:49:
> I would like to request password protection in syslinux.
>
> I know that it has come up a few times on the mailing list (google for
> "site:www.zytor.com syslinux password"), and on
> http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2002-May/000421.html you say
> interesting things about COMBOOT images.
>
> So I was wondering if I could bring that feature request to your attention
> again :)
>
> grub has it, but grub doesn't have PXE, and I think it is entirely
> non-trivial to get it to work with PXE. But their implementation is very
> nice.
>
> Basically, the main concern is not allowing regular users to change the
> boot parameters. Especially init=/bin/bash comes to mind :*).

for this feature I'd suggest to use the IMPLICIT command, perhaps extending
this not to allow anything but the label name itself. For pxelinux this would
be enough, since then you could change the config file on the server to
again allow you the needed command line parameters.

And I think this is useful, have already asked for this earlier, but can't do it myself.

Regards,

Josef