[syslinux] pxelinux, dhcp and multiple interfaces on the device

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Mar 6 13:33:47 PST 2003

david d zuhn wrote:
> Short version:
>   Is there a way to find out which interface PXE booted from?
>
> Long version:
>   I'm working on a cluster of machines, each using a networked
> root filesystem, booting via PXE.  Some of these machines have
> multiple interfaces, some of which are going to be on networks
> that have functioning DHCP servers that will offer addresses.

Currently there is no way to do this in PXELINUX.  The right way to do
this would involve PXELINUX modification, in particular PXELINUX would
need to pass the interface address (there is a PXE call to query the
interface hardware address) to the kernel, which could then match it.

Your suggestion of querying (via DHCP) for an address and see which
network returns the correct network address would also work.