[syslinux] PXElinux question - not in FAQ

Woody Suwalski woody at suwalski.net
Fri Mar 7 08:52:47 PST 2003

Peter, we have met in Cyber space looong time ago, when I was requesting
10:minor numbers for the Netwinder project....

Now I am trying to build a network boot for Xandros distribution.

I have it working, however I need to do 2 DHCP cycles - 1 happens in
PXE, and then it repeats in my network boot code (based on BusyBox). All
I need in the second stage is the NFS image address, passed by DHCP as
    option root-path "dell:/XandrosInstallCD";

I could modify DHCP to use option vendor-encapsulated-options instead.
Is this one "eaten" by PXE firmware? What for is it in the first place?

Would be nice if PXE linux could pass on the kernel command line other
vars similar to IPAPPEND info, but from your code  it looks that
pxelinux is not parsing other DHCP options...

Unless I could use your PXELINUX_MAGIC option. Since I do not need extra
config files, I could use the field to specify NFS root. But how to pass
it later to the kernel?

Thanks, Woody