[syslinux] Syslinux: Multi-Disks [feature]

Clifford Wolf clifford at clifford.at
Tue Mar 11 15:33:21 PST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Christian Marg wrote:

> Perhaps you shouldn't try to get that from your Bootloader. Initrd was
> afaik for having a minimalistic system before the System boots:
> Load the Kernel from the first floppy (Prepaired according to Bootdisk
> HOWto; the older kernels did support: dd if=vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0)
> Load a small initrd from the second floppy, let the init from the initrd
> load the root filesystem of your distributions installer. (using for
> example gunzip -c | dd -skip  1440 bs=1k of=/dev/ram0; Read Manpage for
> parameters, I didn't look them up now.)

Don't use a minimalistic initrd for this. Instead just use

	root=/dev/fd load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_size=4096

and the kernel will load prompt for the ramdisk floppy and load (including
gzip uncompression) the ramdisk from it.

In 2.5 you can do something like you described above with initrams, a gzip
compressed cpio archive which is linked to the kernel as seperate section
and automatically decompressed into a ramfs on bootup. The kernel also
frees this memory section after the filesystem content has been extracted.

yours,
 - clifford

--
+------=[ Usenet Compliant Signature (RFC 2646) ]=---> www.rocklinux.net

>>>  I'm looking for a new job:  http://www.clifford.at/resume.html  <<<

Reality corrupted. Reboot universe? (Y/N)              /"\  ASCII Ribbon
                                                       \ /  Campaign
There are only 10 types of people in the world:         X   Against
Those who understand binary and those who don't.       / \  HTML Mail