[syslinux] Syslinux: Multi-Disks [feature]

Christian Marg christian.marg at tu-clausthal.de
Tue Mar 11 16:55:00 PST 2003

Christian Marg wrote:

>> We - as most other distributions too - are running in the problem that
>> even minimalistc kernels are slowly growing and sometimes don't fit on
>> 1.44 MB floppies anymore.
>>
> The following  is of course no solution for the kernel size growing
> beyond 1.44MB.

Of course I am just describing quick and dirty workarounds, but why not
use some existing tools to solve a Problem?
Here is my Idea for booting Kernels bigger than 1.44Mb with 1.44Mb
floppies...
First Bootdisk:
Boot DOS (or any other usable OS)
Build ramdisk big enough for the whole kernel file
Load first chunk of Kernelfile to ramdisk
Ask for second disk
Second Bootdisk:
Load second chunk of kernel to ramdisk and concatenate both chunks
and so on and so forth until the whole Kernel file is on the ramdisk.
Use Loadlin (boot a Kernel from DOS) and Boot the kernel from the Ramdisk.

Perhaps it'd work? I'm just trying to discuss Ideas to solve your
Problem. Sorry if they aren't very elegant.

bye
Christian