[syslinux] PXELINUX 2.02 won't boot correctly

Darren Jung darren at web-services.net
Mon Mar 17 13:02:00 PST 2003

I am trying to use PXELINUX to quickly build a RedHat 7.3/Red Hat 8.0 network via TFTP, NFS, and Kickstart .  I had this working previously with an older version of PXELINUX, but as I am trying to build a new network segment, I needed to set this up again.  I have the files set up as specified, where my default file looks like:

default linux

label linux
        kernel vmlinuz
        append ksdevice=eth0 load_ramdisk=1 initrd=initrd.img network ks=nfs:wsnrp42.web-services.net:/var/build/current/kscfgfiles/

the /etc/dhcpd.conf is set up exactly as it was on my other PXE-based kickstart build server.  Now, as for my problem:

I tried booting a 3com 3c905c-txm NIC on an Asus P4B533 motherboard running v.1008 BIOS.  The machine got its IP address correctly, saw the correct gateway machine, but showed a "DHCP IP 192.168.90.1".  I am trying to build on the 192.168.90.* network, but there is no machine with the 192.168.90.1 address (this machine had the address previously, but it is supposed to change.  Even so, it should not even be getting to that point, as the linux kernel has not even booted yet)  Also, I am getting "TFTP: ARP timeout" errors.  Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong and how to fix it?

~Darren Jung
darren at web-services.net