[syslinux] Intel 82557-based Integrated Ethernet PCI (10/100)

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Wed Mar 19 03:11:56 PST 2003

Hi,

hijohnr at juno.com schrieb am 18.03.03 22:25:06:
> I hope you can help me.  I have above network chipset on a Mitsubishi
> im-2000 mobo.  I don't see an actual chip on the mobo w/ this ID so I
> suspect it embedded in the mobo BIOS or in one of the 3  Intel chips.

If you have a i8xx-based board (i810, i815, i845 and similar), it may be a
Intel 82662 chip. This chip is quite small (SMD, 16? pins), but it has the
above number printed on it. It is compatible to the i8255x chipset.

> am attempting to use LTSP to boot a workstation w/ above NIC chipset.  It
> has imbedded boot to net software (Intel Landesk service agt v.99b) using
> PXE.

You should try to get an upgraded bios. The Intel Boot Agent (as it's called now)
usually is integrated in the system's rom bios, so try to upgrade the system bios.

> I can't get it working  on a diskless ws trying to boot to a Linux
> server.  I have had success with other NIC's using the rom-o-matic
> software using floppy and linksys bootrom media.  I have tried the
> rom-o-matic eepro100.lzpxe module but the ws displays "no PXE server
> found - switching to TFTP:".  That is, Etherboot never gets going on ws.
> I printed your syslinux.zytor.com/hardware.php page where possible
> problems w/ Intel .99 series is addressed.  I am attempting to do the
> workaround suggested. I set the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc to 1
> but don't understand how to disable the blksize on the TFTP server.  I
> have Suse 8.1 as a server. I have their doc but can't find much about
> TFTP.  Please try to refer me if you can't help.  Thank you. jr

The described way in the syslinux documentation can only be seen as a
workaound. If it works for you - ok, if not there's not much help. The 0.99-series
should be described as 'alpha' software, or even 'pre-alpha' ...

Try to look at the packets the client and server exchange, perhaps these give
a clue why the client fails to boot. But maybe it simply crashes without
any hints why.

Regards,

Josef