[syslinux] The computer hangs while booting the kernel

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Wed Mar 19 05:24:16 PST 2003

Hi,

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> schrieb am 16.03.03 20:11:23:
> Julian Picht wrote:
> > I have got the Problem that syslinux does not boot my kernel it loads it:
> >
> > SYSLINUX 2.02 2003-02-13  Copyright (C) 1994-2003 H. Peter Anvin
> > boot:
> > Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> >
> > and then it just hangs.
> >
> > Is this a problem with Syslinux or with my kernel?

> If you get the "OK, booting the kernel", then the kernel was loaded
> correctly by SYSLINUX.

This is most definitively a kernel problem. I had this once and found out that I transferred
the kernel image ascii instead of binary. Usually the decompression of the kernel follows,
and this should never ever crash the machine.

Recompile the kernel, make sure you transferred the kernel correctly, or even try to
write the kernel image directly to a floppy disk.

Regards,

Josef