[syslinux] Bootable Kernel

John Hampton pacopablo at pdxlug.org
Mon Mar 24 16:09:02 PST 2003

I said:
> Sorry to sound like a bad record, but I'm trying to figure out why I'm
> getting  "Bad gzip magic numbers" errors when ISOlinux is trying to
> inflate the kernel.  Right now I'm clueless as to what's wrong. I've
> tried various kernels compiled on a few different platforms.  Has anyone
> ever seen this before?  ANyone know where a better forum to ask this
> question would be?  Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.

Well, writing that email caused a shift in the universe and I was able to
find out the answer to my problem.  For anyone who might run into the same
problem, here is what was happening:
I was using a uClibc development environment from http://www.uclibc.org
because I wanted to compile everything against uClibc.  The development
environment uses busy box (http://www.busybox.net) for many of the basic
system utilities. One of which is gzip.  Because busybox was designed to
be small, it doesn't accept all of the commandline options that the full
verions does.  It jsut so happend that some of the flags it doesn't accept
are the flags that the kernel make file uses when you do a make bzImage.
So I compiled the full version of gzip, did a make bzImage, and everything
works now (well, the kernel does at least :)  Thanks.

-John