[syslinux] PXE boot times out after "Loading."

Susan Kleinmann sgk at kleinmann.com
Sat Mar 29 17:50:01 PST 2003

I am trying to install Debian GNU/Linux onto a floppy-less CD-ROM-less
Shuttle XPC SS40G with an AMD Athlon installed.

This machine has an on-board ethernet controller (RealTek 8139), but I had
also added an Intel Pro/100 Ethernet card, and I am trying to boot via that
additional Ethernet card.

Following the instructions at:
http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=818
I obtained the stock 'woody' kernel and root image, installed them on
the TFTP server (running 'atftpd') as suggested, restarted the superserver
and the DHCP server, and started the Shuttle.

The machine successfully found the tftp/dhcp server, obtained an IP
address for itself, and gave me a "boot:" prompt.  I entered the label
corresponding to the boot image I wanted to install, and this seemd to
initiate the loading of the kernel.

Soon thereafter however, the boot loader got stuck, with the following
message:

8000
AX:0208
BX:0200
CX:0002
DX:0000.
8000
AX:0208
... (repeats)

At this point, the tftp process begins to record this in syslog:
sent DATA <block: 36, size 512>
timeout: retrying...

I checked that the md5sums of the files that I'd downloaded from the
Debian site were correct.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what I might look at to diagnose this
problem?

Thanks in advance,
Susan