[syslinux] Isolinux init problem

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Fri May 2 21:25:33 PDT 2003

Hi,

christoffer at pushlab.com schrieb am 02.05.03 15:24:38:

> I have a problem with isolinux my root filesystem is a iso9660
> cdrom , it wont start the init but it mounts /dev/hdc as root.

You don't have a problem with isolinux, but with your kernel and the root fs.

> Cant linux start directly from a the cdrom or is this another problem?

It can, if you either use an initrd or compile your kernel to have all the
filesystems and drivers it needs for accessing the filesystem you try
to give it as the root FS. Modules are loaded after init is started.

> I get this:
> VFS: Mounted root filesystem (iso9660) readonly
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 2808kb freead
> Warning: unable to open an intital console

This indicates that /dev/console isn't found.

> Kernel panic: no init found. try parsing init=option to kernel.

This basically means that init isn't found where the kernel expects it.
(/sbin/init and the other ones I don't recall at the moment).

Trying to mount a root filesystem off a CD-Rom isn't an easy task, you
should exactly know what you are doing. I don't know if Rockridge supports
device nodes, CD-Roms are usually RO, so you won't have /etc/mtab and
/dev/initctl. And you don't know if it's really connected to /dev/hdc, maybe it's hdd
or even scd.

Regards,

Josef