[syslinux] Booting from Harddisk

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Fri May 16 13:47:28 PDT 2003

Hi,

"fille manjong" <fillemanjong at hotmail.com> schrieb am 14.05.03 23:15:33:
> I've made several attempts to boot syslinux from the harddisk.
> I have a win 98 startdiskette with syslinux and copybs.
> I strictly follow the procedure in the syslinux documentation.
> Yet, the result of the boot is not that linux is starting.
> Instead, the Microsoft windows screen flashes for a couple of
> seconds and is then replaced by a Dos prompt.
> Syslinux is V2.04. The PC is an IBM Aptiva 486 DX2

Did you write a new MBR? Windows rewrites the MBR, and that
then starts the first active partition. Maybe it started a partition
you didn't install syslinux on.

> I've also tried syslinux V 1.61 but here there are other compilation errors.
> I am running a Redhat 8.0 linux on the machine I'm compiling on.

The syslinux binaries should run without problems. Perhaps you should
try a redhat or suse rescue cd, these usually include syslinux.

Regards,

Josef