[syslinux] isolinux problems on Dell GX260

Josko Plazonic plazonic at Math.Princeton.EDU
Sat May 17 09:51:51 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've been trying to debug RH 9 CD install problems on Dell GX260 line.
The floppy installs are working just fine but CD install misteriously
freezes before even getting at the prompt and booting the kernel.  No
messages, on contrary - screen goes black very quickly and I can just
see for a split second something was there.

I have just rebuilt install images with syslinux 2.04 and this time I
get a bit further - I get an error:
isolinux: Disk error 01: AX=4200, drive 82
The same boot cd works just fine on my laptop.

Some background info (just in case): GX260's have Intel Corp. 82845G/GL
[Brookdale-G] Chipset (from lspci).  Tested on 2 of them, one with a DVD
drive (Liteon LTD163) and one with a CD-RW/DVD combo drive (Samsung
???).  One has an older bios revision and one newest, no difference,
exactly the same error.

Any suggestions?  I also tried to figure out what could 4200h mean as a
return value after 42h call but I can't seem to find much.

Thanks,

Josko P.