[syslinux] Re: Q: passing DHCP options to the booted linux-kernel?

Ph. Marek philipp.marek at bmlv.gv.at
Wed May 21 21:35:02 PDT 2003

> Any results ?
Yes.

There's a parameter in the pxelinux-configuration file which gets loaded via
tftp named "IPAPPEND". If it is set to a value of 1, pxelinux passes a
parameter "ip=..,..,..,..." to the kernel - can't remember just know which
value order.

The linux kernel has a compile option named "ip autoconfiguration".
With this compiled in it looks for a "ip"-parameter, and depending on other
settings, does DHCP, RARP or even PXE (or something other - there were 3
options) on the interfaces.

What I didn't find was how to specify the interface these settings apply - If
a machine has several network cards, the one booted from may not be eth0, and
AFAIK the kernel uses the parameter on eth0.

But maybe there's a trick I've missed up to now. Possibly giving the PCI id
(or even better, PCI location) to the kernel to specify the interface?

Regards,

Phil