[syslinux] m$windows guy needs pxedisk/memdisk help

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri May 23 16:07:09 PDT 2003

David Meltzer wrote:
> hello and thanks for reading this,
> i am doing a volunteer project for a school in harlem,ny.
> they have had donated 30 nics computers from thinknic.com.
> it can pxe boot. it had a cdrom and it has no hard drive.
>
> i am looking for ways to boot windows98 on these machines.
> i read on some site that memdisk can be used on legacy os.
>
> before i spend days testing it out, is it possible to boot windows98 instead of linux.

You might be able to, but it's far from certain -- Win98 is a
protected-mode OS and many of them get confused when they find no
hardware behind the BIOS.  On the other hand, Win95/98 did actually do
INT 13h, I believe, so it just might actually work.

Also, you'd have to have lots of RAM since MEMDISK resides permanently
in memory, at least up to the point where you can mount a file server.