[syslinux] More features in Syslinux 2.08

Murali Krishnan Ganapathy gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 25 08:38:15 PST 2003

More features in 2.08 which I would like to see

**** A way by which DOS images can find out the command line arguments
sent (and identfy the fact that memdisk is stll around?)

I hope to use such a feature as follows: Instead of hanving multiple DOS
images on my isolinux based CD, I will have only one. Based on the
command line argument I can execute different DOS batch scripts (just
like I do for the linux side now).

**** Another error handling construct as follows. I add the line
"onerror abc" to isolinux.cfg then what should happen is the following:
If the user type something in the boot prompt which is not a valid
kernel / label name, the label/COMBOOT image abc is executed with the
bad line as its command line argument. The other image then handles the
error as it pleases.

The use for (2) which I am seeing is the following: I have one
particular image (say master) which takes as argument the name of a
network script and executes it after booting into linux. Because of
this, I can add scripts on the network and use it in my ISOLINUX CD by
typing "master image=newscript" at the boot prompt. I would like to
avoid my users having to type all that... Instead all I want them to
type is "newscript". Then ISOLINUX will find that it is a bad label, and
call my COMBOOT with newscript as the argument. Then in the COMBOOT
code, I will "execute" the image "master image=newscript". Since the
user does not see all this, he has the feeling that as soon as he drops
a script into a network location, ISOLINUX automagically recognizes that
label as well.

**** Nothing else so far... I am sure I can think of a couple more
things....

- Murali