[syslinux] Bootable 2.88MB floppy image

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Mon Oct 6 09:58:36 PDT 2003

Hi,

fetak at comcast.net schrieb am 06.10.03 18:28:28:

> I would like to be able to create a 2.88MB bootable floppy image to hold the kernel and initrd -- will be used for automated install.  In various newsgroups there have been many posting attempting to describe how to achieve this, but none of them is complete.
>
> Can syslinux be used to achieve this?

Syslinux can use these images (for cd installs with floppy images e.g.), but syslinux
can't produce these images. Syslinux is in general a boot loader, and contains
nothing (or at least not really much - it installs boot sectors, but nothing more) to
create these images.

> What about memdisk?

Memdisk also uses these images to emulate a local drive for dos.

The baseline of creating this image is to create a file with the size of the image,
create a filesystem on it, loopback mount it, put the files on it, and umount it.
This is all quite straightforward. The only point where it is not is with boot sectors
(and with hard disk images: Partitioning). There were some postings for creating
hard disk images some month ago, and AFAIR hpa put something from these on
the web site.

Regards,

Josef