[syslinux] Important feature missing: Floppy booting from 2 disks

Dr. Michael Weller eowmob at exp-math.uni-essen.de
Mon Oct 13 09:16:11 PDT 2003

Hi list,

I've used sys & pxelinux now many times, it's really a useful toy. I found
esp. syslinux very helpful as it allows to COMPLETELY boot from multiple
disks. However, I could never use a 'vanilla' syslinux for that. I'm
doomed to use Distributor patched versions, which I don't really like. Why
is that? Read on:

Well, I can't manage to boot of a 1.44 MB floppy. I simple don't manage to
squeeze a useful modern kernel & initrd on that. Don't tell me I'm the
only person with that problem. Yes, I know: CD or PXE boot is much better,
but there are situations where you need a floppy. A very useful
application for example are the RemoteInsightBoards of Compaq/now HP
servers. They allow to upload diskimages you can boot remotely w/o any
direct access to the system BUT it uses a BIOS emulation.  Hence, a two
disk syslinux boot combo (one disk kernel, one initrd) is perfect. Normal
floppy hardware directly. This way a plain kernel disk (just dd the kernel
onto it) has no chance to work, for example.

Distros, esp. Suse, use a patched syslinux, which prompts and allows a
diskchange for a 2nd disk before loading initrd images.

What I desperately need is a config-file option (or some automatic
mechanism if initrd image is not found on the disk) to show a prompt and
wait for a key PRIOR to loading the initrd image. This way I could use
plain syslinux and don't need to use 'hacked' Distros bootdisks with
plenty of other unwished effects builtin.

Ideally prompting and the message should be configurable, maybe even on a
by image basis, but that's only cosmetical. BUT: There should be a way to
stop and wait for a key AFTER loading the kernel but BEFORE loading the
initrd.

I'm under the impression you can't do that with the 'official' syslinux.
If I'm wrong, please flame ahead. I can't really understand why this
option is missing, this seems such a fundamental issue to me.
[Note: with the new syslinux compilable under linux, I might be able to
help myself, when I'm going to setup my next install images]

Best Regards,
Michael.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob at exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob at ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,