[syslinux] tftpd-hpa source port selection

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Oct 15 10:12:12 PDT 2003

Alexandre Aractingi wrote:

> Hi, the topic has been covered before so I won't ask how the source port
> selection is done, but I'm wondering why (and this doesn't concern
> tftpd-hpa only but more the tftp protocol itself) the server couldn't
> respond with the UDP source port 69, as a 'regular' server would do...
> (ie Apache listens on TCP 80, and replies with TCP source port 80)
> Thanks for any light on this,

The TFTP protocol behaves this way to make it easy to implement on
machines even with really bizarre UDP stacks.  Whether or not it
actually is a win is probably at best debatable, however, there *are*
machines which don't handle a connected and an unconnected UDP socket
with the same local port number.