[syslinux] PXELINUX and PowerSave Mode ...

gmurali gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 28 08:27:07 PST 2003

You can still get the best of both worlds using COM32.

Have a 'default powersave'. Your powersave kernel should now be COM32
code, which turns off the harddisk, monitor whatever (I dont know how
exactly to do this). And it can also display a prompt just like
syslinux/pxelinux. Once your students press some key and wake up the
machine and hit enter, your code can process the key, and using the
COMBOOT API load your standard kernel.

I have no idea how one can write COMBOOT code to turn off harddisk,
monitor etc. I am sure it is possible, but the main question is whether
it is worth the effort?

- Murali