[syslinux] Re: (no subject)

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Oct 28 21:41:29 PST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Petro wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:53:56PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Petro wrote:
> > > Is this the right place to ask questions about PXE and booting linux via
> > > PXE?
> > At least as long as you're using PXELINUX to do it...
>
>     Hmmm...
>
>     Well, it's the default c... that comes with Redhat 9, and syslinux
>     2.00 is installed.
>
>     I'm running /usr/sbin/pxe and the (apparently unsupported) mtftpd
>     server (why does Redhat do this silly sh**?).

They no longer do this. Even in redhat 9 you do not need the pxe package if you
setup a dhcp server and tftp server.

>     I suspect my problem is before I even get to that point though. When
>     I'm trying to get a machine to boot I get this in my logs:
>
>     PXE[2723]: PxeService: WinSock error 0x58 on UDP recvfrom() on Port 67
>
>     Any ideas? Or do I need to rip out all this Redhat stuff and start
>     over with the right software?
Ditch the pxe package and setup a dhcp server, tftp server, and use syslinux.
Simple to setup and simple to use. See the syslinux home page for details.
Once you have read the docs if you still have questions you can ask here.

HTH,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl at rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123 at rogueind.com