[syslinux] Re: Network Boot IP Configuration Dilemma

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Sep 8 10:02:23 PDT 2003

Jon Nalley wrote:

> It would be great if pxelinux could add the interface that was used to
> PXE as the "device" argument to ip=.  Or create an additional parameter
> that would let me know which NIC was used to PXE once I am in the
> ramdisk.  Perhaps there is some other way to determine the NIC that was
> used to PXE?  I have no idea how difficult this would be - so please
> forgive me if I am suggesting the impossible :-)

You are.  There is no way for PXELINUX to know what Linux is going to
call the device once it starts -- it may, in fact, not have a name at
all or depend on the ordering of devices.

PXELINUX could find out what the hardware (MAC) address are of the
booting device, but there is no convenient way to pass it to the kernel.