[syslinux] Updating BIOS with pxe syslinux memdisk & DOS problems

Alex Ninaber alex.ninaber at clustervision.com
Fri Sep 12 09:59:08 PDT 2003

Hi all,

We are hoping to update our BIOSes remotely with pxelinux and memdisk (it is
for a 600 node Beowulf cluster with no floppy access). The DOS floppy loads
and starts, however somehow the flash utility 'phlash.exe' or 'phlash16.exe'
are both unable to load the provided rom image and just stop doing nothing.
It looks like it can't access the rom image somehow, which is strange as it
does acknowledge the fact it can find the image on the drive. Apparently
some people have got this working with some motherboards (with I assume
different flash utilities).

So the question is: Is this a problem with phlash.exe that is trying to read
from a floppy that isn't there or is it a problem with memdisk?

If we can get this working it would be pretty good; far better than walking
around with usb sticks or usb floppies.

Regards,

Alex Ninaber

ClusterVision BV
J.C. Beetslaan 155
2131 AL Hoofddorp Netherlands
Tel: +31 23 5677510 / Fax: +31 23 5677519
Mob NL: +31 6 45336623
Email: alex.ninaber at clustervision.com
Web: http://www.clustervision.com